UWSMPH Phase 2 Students
As a University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH) student, you’re going to love completing your Phase 2 block at Gundersen Health System. Get ready for 3 months of hands-on, individualized learning at our flagship hospital—a tertiary referral and level II Trauma Center in La Crosse—and neighboring regional clinics.
We’re proud to be designated as the Western Academic Campus of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH). During your 3-month block rotation at Gundersen, you'll engage in small group teaching sessions of 2 to 6 students, plus hands-on learning in our state-of-the-art simulation lab on campus.
Our hospital services have dedicated teaching teams with residents, fellows and multidisciplinary rounds. Our clinic sites include both our main campus in La Crosse and more than 30 regional sites. You’ll be paired one-to-one with teaching attendings and associate staff for an individualized learning experience.
In Phase 2, all 4 blocks are available for both Wisconsin Academy for Rural Medicine (WARM) and traditional students from the UWSMPH. Please track your requirements for UWSMPH via Canvas.
Specialized Care of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Pediatric Patients Block
- 6 weeks of Obstetrics
- 3 weeks of Inpatient Pediatrics
- 2 weeks of Outpatient Pediatrics
- 1 week of Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Block Continuity Clinic
Acute Care Block
- 6 weeks of Internal Medicine
- 2 weeks of Emergency Medicine & Radiology
- 2 weeks of Inpatient Psychology
- 2 weeks of Inpatient Neurology
Chronic and Preventative Care Block
- 4 weeks of Family Medicine
- 3 weeks of Outpatient Internal Medicine
- 2 weeks of Outpatient Psychiatry
- 2 weeks of Outpatient Neurology
- 1 week of Geriatrics
Surgical and Procedural Care Block
- 4 weeks of General Surgery
- 2 weeks of Anesthesiology
- 2 weeks each of Urology, Ophthalmology or Vascular/Pediatrics
What sets us apart
Life at Gundersen
Around here, loving your job is part of the job. We're a community of caregivers, committed to the health and wellbeing of all.
Call La Crosse Home
We have it all in La Crosse, Wis. Our vibrant city and region support your dream lifestyle with a welcoming community, culture and outdoor adventure.
At each and every Gundersen location, you'll find teammates who are passionate about supporting each other and their communities.