UWSMPH Phase 3 Inpatient Acting Internship (IAI)
We offer University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH) Phase 3 students comprehensive inpatient rotations at our flagship hospital, a tertiary referral and level II Trauma Center, in La Crosse.
Inpatient Acting Internships (IAIs) at Gundersen
We offer 3 inpatient Phase 3 rotations for IAIs selections including:
- General Medicine
- Cardiology/Critical Care
- Intensive Care Unit/Pulmonary Medicine
Overview and expectations
You’ll be taught and supervised by teaching attendings and senior medical residents. During the rotation, you’ll also meet with Rachel Hawker, MD, Internal Medicine Residency program director. Evaluations will be completed by our teaching attendings.
During your rotation, you’ll:
- Teach and round, usually 7:30 am to noon weekdays before admissions
- Round 1 day on weekends
- Perform the role of a medical intern to the best of your capability
- Round on your own patients daily
- Write the official admission
- Discharge and take daily progress notes for the patient
- Order writing and communication with consultants
- Attend 2 interactive sessions with Kyla Lee, MD, on cross-cover calls and other topics
What sets us apart
Life at Gundersen
Around here, loving your job is part of the job. We're a community of caregivers, committed to the health and wellbeing of all.
Call La Crosse Home
We have it all in La Crosse, Wis. Our vibrant city and region support your dream lifestyle with a welcoming community, culture and outdoor adventure.
At each and every Gundersen location, you'll find teammates who are passionate about supporting each other and their communities.