Advanced GI MIS/Bariatric Surgery Fellowship Curriculum
Our program focuses on teaching the comprehensive management of bariatric patients with an emphasis on cutting-edge surgical techniques of laparoscopic gastric bypass and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.
You’ll operate 4-5 days weekly, practicing advanced laparoscopic and robotic procedures, including using the da Vinci Xi Surgical System. Our fellows are involved with pre- and post-operative care of our bariatric patients and teaching General Surgery residents in our flagship medical center and state-of-the-art simulation lab. As a fellow, you’ll:
- Learn the surgical management of patients with severe obesity, including establishing your own future bariatric practice
- Learn how to treat foregut surgical disorders
- Participate in laparoscopic skills labs and other attendings
- Average 1 day per week of clinic responsibility and a half day of research time
- Conduct 2 research projects and edit at least 1 video
- Participate in M & M conferences, journal clubs, foregut meetings and bariatric team meetings
You’ll gain hands-on experience in advanced laparoscopic and robotic procedures, potentially including:
- Heller myotomy
- Inguinal and ventral hernia repair
- Paraesophageal hernias
- Solid organ
During your fellowship, you’ll engage in 2 research activities to grow your knowledge, advance the specialty and improve patient care. We’ll support your work with mentorship, tools and resources to enhance the efficiency and quality of your research.
Call La Crosse Home
We have it all in La Crosse, Wis. Our vibrant city and region support your dream lifestyle with a welcoming community, culture and outdoor adventure.
Steps from our flagship medical center in La Crosse, our housing options allow you to enjoy the company of your family and the comradery of your colleagues.
Prioritizing Your Wellness
As you learn how to become the clinician you aspire to be, we’ll provide space to prioritize your mind and body wellness, and reach the work-life balance you need.