To the next generation of internists and hospitalists—welcome home. You’re going to love learning medicine here.
You’re charting the next step in your medical career. Whether that’s gaining the knowledge and practical skills to begin internal medicine or hospitalist practice, or obtaining a top fellowship, you’ll have all the skills, tools and support at Gundersen. Our internal residency program offers progressive autonomy in an award-winning educational environment that optimizes individual wellness.
Our goal is to empower future physicians to excel in independent practice and succeed no matter where their careers take them. You’ll learn through our multidisciplinary team approach, using evidence-based data to deliver high-quality, safe and financially responsible care.
As an internal medicine resident, you'll have access to these opportunities and more:
- Daily formal teaching conferences with a range of hospital staff
- Weekly board review classes for all residents, covering MKSAP and MedStudy curricula as well as test taking strategy
- Access to NEJM Knowledge+ for additional board preparation
- Appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility, with staff ready to answer any questions and support you
- Ability to learn and master a range of procedures, from arterial line insertion and joint aspiration and infection to endotracheal intubation and thoracentesis
- An ICU rotation dedicated to intensive care medicine at our Level II Trauma Center
We’re looking for applicants who want a program that offers autonomy and flexibility in a collaborative and supportive environment. If that sounds like you, learn more about the program requirements and interview process, and apply through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
At Gundersen, you’ll get hands-on training in a personalized, supportive environment for medical education and patient care. It’s why we received the 2016 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Baldwin Award and why we value continuous improvement.
- Outstanding ABIM certification exam preparation with weekly board review sessions, and our 15-year ABIM certifying exam pass rate is more than 95%
- An extensive ambulatory-specific didactic curriculum and dedicated ambulatory teaching staff
- A cutting-edge point-of-care ultrasound curriculum and simulation center
- Training diversity, with residents obtaining competitive fellowships
- Individualized career counseling from our residency administrative personnel and institutional Recruiting department
We offer competitive compensation, 401k matching, paid medical premiums, funds for educational and wellness expenses, a meal stipend, childcare and more benefits to support you during your residency.
We have it all in La Crosse, Wis. Our vibrant city and region support your dream lifestyle with a welcoming community, culture and outdoor adventure.
Steps from our flagship medical center in La Crosse, our housing options allow you to enjoy the company of your family and the comradery of your colleagues.
As you learn how to become the clinician you aspire to be, we’ll provide space to prioritize your mind and body wellness, and reach the work-life balance you need.
We’re here to answer your questions about our residency.