Did you know there are 26 bones, 33 joints and more than 100 muscles and tendons in the human foot?
All the more reason to take care of your feet and keep these things in mind when choosing summer footwear.
- Get a good pair of athletic shoes for exercise and outdoor activities. Try both shoes on before purchasing. If either shoe is uncomfortable, try a different pair. Don't purchase with the thought of breaking shoes in. Both shoes should feel comfortable immediately when tried on.
- Choose a shoe that covers the entire foot for outdoor yard work, mowing and gardening.
- When selecting summer sandals, look for a pair with high quality leather as this will minimize the potential for irritation. Don't ignore pain caused by rubbing as this can lead to blisters and infection. Make sure your foot does not hang off the edge of a sandal or any open toe shoe.
- Flip flops should not be used as walking shoes, for yard work, or to play sports in.
- In order to be mindful of posture and reduce injury risk, alternate heeled shoes with flats or tennis shoes throughout the day.
Is walking good exercise?
Minutes in Motion
Bodyweight exercises to try at home
What exercise burns the most calories?