When the sun is shining and the heat is climbing most people remember to stay hydrated.
However, during the winter many people forget that they need to drink water year round. Around 60 percent of our body is made up of water and it is involved in many important functions of the body such as:
- Temperature regulation
- Cushions joints
- Skin elasticity and hydration
- Appetite regulation
During the winter we may forget to drink water altogether or we may gravitate towards sipping on beverages that are higher in caffeine such as coffee or tea, or beverages that are higher in added sugars like hot chocolate.
To make sure you stay hydrated try to make half of your fluid intake plain water. If you dislike plain water, forget to drink water or are simply bored with plain water try these tips get much needed fluids during the winter:
- Try a new herbal tea
- Make your own herbal tea, such as ginger root tea
- Try plain hot water
- Add fruit or cucumbers to your water for flavor
- Have a broth-based soup with your meal
- Carry a water bottle with you
- Set an alarm on your phone or calendar to remind you to drink water
- Make or purchase a water bottle that has times written on it to keep you on track with your fluid intake throughout they day.
Is dark chocolate good for you?
Chocolate cherry baked oatmeal recipe
Do juice cleanses really work?
How to get more vitamin C