Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You have heard it from your parents, but maybe you still think breakfast is over-rated. Maybe you think a few extra minutes of sleep is more beneficial than getting up for breakfast.
Getting up earlier for breakfast is worth your time. Studies show that breakfast eaters are more alert and creative, perform better in school with improved test scores and are tardy less often (adults are more productive, too!). Breakfast eaters have fewer hunger-induced stomach aches in the morning. Breakfast benefits boast improved concentration, better problem solving, and improved muscle coordination. Breakfast means "breaking the fast." Eating breakfast signals to your body that you are awake and moving. As a result, it stimulates your metabolism, helping you to burn more calories, and be more alert.
Breakfast should include a carbohydrate and a protein. The carbohydrate will energize your body and brain for the day. The protein will maintain the energy and keep you going strong until lunch. Strive to include at least three to five food groups for breakfast.
Plan ahead for a breakfast at home or see if your school provides a breakfast for students. Find out what your kids will eat and involve them in preparation. It will be easier and they will be more likely to eat it.
Breakfast - the best way to start your day!
Try some QUICK breakfast ideas…
- 1 cup whole-grain cereal with ½ cup berries or small banana and ½ cup low-fat milk
- ½ whole wheat bagel with 1 oz. low-fat cream cheese and fresh fruit
- 1 breakfast bar, ½ cup canned fruit (in own juice) with ½ cup milk
- 1 whole wheat toaster waffle or toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 piece fresh fruit, 1 cup milk and a small muffin
Or some CREATIVE breakfast ideas…
- Yogurt parfait: Layer 1 container low-fat yogurt, 1 cup fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries) and sprinkle with ½ cup granola
- Breakfast burrito: Roll up 1 scrambled egg, ¼ cup low-fat cheese and 2 tablespoons salsa on a 6-inch whole wheat tortilla
- Breakfast pita: Stuff a whole wheat pita with ½ cup cottage cheese and fresh fruit
- Homemade instant oatmeal
How to get more vitamin C
Do juice cleanses really work?
Fresh ideas for fruit
Fruit and yogurt parfaits