With many of us spending more time at home, now is a great time to role model healthy eating and involve your kids in meal planning and preparation.
The following are tips for setting a good example for healthy eating and promoting a healthy lifestyle for your child:
- Try to maintain a structured meal and snack times. Snacking throughout the day and filling up on unhealthy foods can lead to poorly eaten meals.
- Plan meals for at least one week. This will ensure you have the proper ingredients on hand when you start meal preparation and may help you to limit your time in the grocery store.
- Involve your child in meal planning and preparation and remember to have fun in the kitchen! Preparing foods together, and combining interesting shapes, colors, and flavors can result in greater food acceptance.
- Experiment. If you have more time for meal planning and cooking, try experimenting with new recipes and new foods.
- Eat together as a family. With kids involved in fewer activities, try to eat together as a family and avoid mealtime distractions.
- Encourage physical activity and make it a fun, family time. When children are physically active, they build up an appetite for meals and may be more motivated to eat well and try new foods.
- Show by example: make sure you are demonstrating healthy eating habits by including plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains in your own diet.
More time at home can result in less stress and more enjoyment surrounding meal planning and preparation and create a more pleasant mealtime atmosphere for you and your child.
How to get more vitamin C
Do juice cleanses really work?
Fresh ideas for fruit
Fruit and yogurt parfaits