Do you have a dog who loves to walk or run? If so, your pet can help you stay active throughout this challenge. Walking your dog is a great multi-tasking activity: They get a much-needed energy release and you get your steps in!
Here are some reasons to grab the leash:
- Dog owners enjoy health perks from walking their dog a few times a week. These benefits include improved cardiovascular fitness, lower blood pressure, stronger muscles and bones and decreased stress.
- Regular walks benefit your pooch, too. They help prevent obesity, which is associated with osteoarthritis, cardiovascular disease, liver disease and insulin resistance.
- Dogs love going on walks! A pup who doesn't receive sufficient exercise can become bored or destructive.
Dog walking tips
- Aim for 30-minute walks, five times per week.
- Keep your dog on a leash in public areas, unless you're in a designated "off-leash" zone.
- Supervise your dog around young children.
- Take a plastic bag or scoop to clean up after your dog.
- Make sure your dog is properly identified.
- Avoid walking in extreme heat.
- Take fresh water to keep you and your dog hydrated.
Is walking good exercise?
Minutes in Motion
Bodyweight exercises to try at home
What exercise burns the most calories?