Stand-up paddle boarding (SUP) is a new, unique, water sport that is growing in popularity.
Growing at a fast rate over the past three years, it provides substantial, beneficial exercise activity with a full-body workout.
Stand up paddle boarding will improve cardio respiratory endurance and positively affect your body composition when used. It is a fun, unique alternative to traditional cardiovascular endurance sports such as jogging, biking and swimming, while still achieving an intense workout.
The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise five days a week or 20 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise three days a week in order to achieve health benefits. Paddle boarding at the same physical level you would if you were running an 8-10 minute mile pace is sufficient effort to meet the physical activity guidelines.
Where to rent paddle boards:
- University Wisconsin La Crosse: Outdoor Connection
- Island Outdoors (1330 Bainbridge St., La Crosse)
- La Crosse Parks and Recreation (400 La Crosse St., La Crosse)
- Lake Lodge Parks and Recreations (113 Lake Park Drive, Winona, Minn.)
- Sid's Bay, Lake Neshonoc, West Salem
- Castle Rock Lake Watersports 7265 Shacks Road, Mauston)
- Also, check with local marinas and tourism centers
Minutes in Motion
Swing Into Shape
Bodyweight exercises to try at home