Improve your well-being with help of Healthy Living workshops
Living well can feel like a challenge sometimes. The good news is that it is never too late to take control of your health. To help, Gundersen Health System offers a variety of workshops focused on setting goals, learning coping techniques and finding support through like-minded community members.
Healthy Living with Chronic Pain
Discover a lifetime of new options for managing pain during this six-week workshop. The program focuses on helping you feel better, take control of your pain and get you back to doing the things you enjoy.
This program does not replace your existing treatments as prescribed by your doctor, but it does complement your medical care plan. It is not intended to be a solution for addiction to pain medication.
Through Healthy Living with Chronic Pain, you build self-confidence in your ability to manage your pain and learn:
- Strategies for understanding and managing pain
- Short-term goal setting
- Gentle movement and stretching exercises
- Mind and body connection
- Relaxation techniques
- Stress and depression management
- Communicating effectively with family, friends and your medical team
Healthy Living with Diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic, life-long condition. While you may see a physician or another healthcare provider several times a year, most days you are the one who controls your diabetes through monitoring, eating right, exercising and managing your symptoms.
If you or someone you care for has Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes or is pre-diabetic, this program may be right for you. People who take this workshop:
- Learn techniques to deal with symptoms of diabetes
- Learn about appropriate exercise, use of medication and healthy eating strategies
- Report improved health, health behaviors and a sense of confidence in managing
- their diabetes
- Show improvements in blood sugar levels and a decrease in health distress and hypo- and hyperglycemia
- Feel more confident in their ability to communicate with physicians
- Have fewer doctor and emergency room visits and less hospitalizations
Diabetes Support Group
The Diabetes Support Group will meet on the third Thursday of each month beginning January 2020 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Healthy Living Center, 1140 Main Street, La Crosse, classroom A. Registration is encouraged.
This monthly support group will include education, tips, recipes, success stories and more. The goal is to offer accountability, motivation, support and encouragement to help participants improve or maintain their quality of life. We cannot stop improving diabetes care--diabetes is the fastest growing disease today! Our hope is to increase confidence levels to manage diabetes among those who attend as well as give those living with the condition hope and increased knowledge.
If no dates are listed, please contact the Office of Population Health at (608) 775-6870 for more information.