Makes 6 servings
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced and pressed
1 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp dried thyme
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 ½ tsp curry powder, optional for flavor
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 ½ cups brown lentils, rinsed in cold water and drained
6 oz. baby spinach
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven (or stockpot) over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic cloves and sauté 1 additional minute.
- Add broth and lentils. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Partially cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add seasoned salt, thyme, cumin, pepper, basil, and spinach and cook for 15 minutes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 262 calories, 4 grams fat, 18 grams protein, 40 grams carbs, 8 grams fiber, 532 mg sodium.
How to get more vitamin C
Do juice cleanses really work?
Fruit and yogurt parfaits
Fresh ideas for fruit