We all know that chicken breast and fish are lean meats and most of us have a few go-to recipes. Trying different lean meats can be intimidating, but if cooked correctly they can be tender and delicious. Follow these tips to cook delicious and moist lean meat and increase the variety of lean meats in your diet.
- Use a meat thermometer to cook to the recommended temperature. Over-cooking can leave meat tough and dry.
- Marinate before cooking to keep meat tender and flavorful.
- Use moist cooking methods such as braising, stewing, slow-cooking or wrapping in foil.
|Lean Cuts of Beef||Cooking Method|
|Sirloin||barbecue, broil, stir fry, pan broil|
|Tenderloin||barbecue, broil, pan broil|
|Top loin or strip steak||barbecue, broil, pan broil|
|Top round||barbecue, broil, pan broil, roast, stir fry, braise, slow-cook|
|Flank steak||barbecue, broil, pan broil|
|Sirloin tip||stir fry|
|Tip roast||roast, braise, slow-cook|
|Eye round roast||roast|
|Arm chuck||braise, slow-cook|
|Lean Cuts of Pork||Cooking Method|
|Center loin chops||barbecue, broil, pan broil, stir fry|
|Tenderloin||barbecue, broil, stir fry|
|Loin roast||barbecue, roast|
|Fresh ham steak||barbecue, broil, pan broil, roast, stir fry|
|Fresh ham roast||barbeque, broil, pan broil|
|Sirloin roast||barbecue, stir fry|
|Pork shoulder||braise, slow-cook|
- Barbecue: Cook over an open fire, such as a grill, without added liquid.
- Broil: Cook under or over direct heat without added liquid or fat.
- Pan Broil: Cook thin steaks at high heat in a pan without added fat or liquid.
- Roast: Cook without added liquid in an oven or in a covered grill.
- Stir Fry: Cook small pieces of meat or vegetables in a small amount of hot oil in a large pan while stirring.
- Braise: Sear or fry briefly with dry heat and then add liquid and continue cooking in liquid.
- Slow cook: Cook in a slow cooker with added liquid over low heat for about 8 hours.
Try our korean beef and broccoli bowl recipe, slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew recipe, slow cooker meatball sub recipe, and chicken caprese recipe.
Is dark chocolate good for you?
Dark chocolate contains many healthy nutrients like iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc and more, making it a bittersweet treat to enjoy in moderation.
Chocolate cherry baked oatmeal recipe
Makes 6 servings Ingredients 2 cups old fashioned oats 1 tsp. baking powder ¼ cup light brown sugar 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder ¼ tsp. salt 2 cups fresh or frozen
Do juice cleanses really work?
It's true that you’re likely to lose weight on a juice cleanse, but this is simply because you’re consuming fewer calories.
How to get more vitamin C
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient, meaning your body doesn’t produce enough and needs adequate amounts through the food you eat.