Benefits & Compensation
When you practice love + medicine at Gundersen, you’re part of a physician-influenced community that values your expertise, dedication and the exceptional patient-centered care you provide. Our Total Rewards program for physicians and advanced practice clinicians is one of the ways we show our appreciation.
Our commitment to you
Our Total Rewards commitment covers 6 areas to support the holistic success of our physicians. From professional growth to personal health and wellbeing, our comprehensive suite of benefits and programs will help you use your talents and live to your full potential.
Total Rewards to enrich your life
Growth & development
Together we share a passion for delivering world-class healthcare that improves the health of our patients and our communities. With ever-evolving medical science and technology, we know how important continuous learning is for our physicians. To help you stay current, meet your career goals and provide the highest level of patient care, we offer:
- Continuing medical education (CME) opportunities and reimbursement for CME and professional membership expenses for many positions
- Physician mentoring and coaching programs so you can connect and collaborate with a community of colleagues in and outside your department
- Opportunities to pursue professional interests like teaching, research and leadership
- An Inspire + Celebrate recognition program to acknowledge achievements, experiences and success
- Full payment of all your medical licensure renewal fees and medical society dues
While you’re caring for patients, we care for you by providing competitive and equitable compensation. Our clinician salary is based on productivity AND performance – because we recognize that your contributions extend beyond your direct patient care activities. Your personalized compensation plan recognizes all the quality and service you share at Gundersen – so you can thrive both in and beyond your work.
Health & wellbeing
We genuinely care about your health and total wellbeing. To support and protect the wellness of our clinicians and their families, we offer exceptional healthcare benefits. Enjoy low plan premiums and personalized options to meet your unique needs and priorities. This includes:
- Comprehensive medical coverage – 3 plan options to choose from
- Employer-sponsored health savings account (HSA) with employer contribution
- Prescription drug coverage
- Dental coverage
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA) for healthcare and dependent care
- MyHealth employee wellness program and rewards
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Vision discounts
- Discounts for non-covered medical services
We know time away from work allows you to recharge. For many positions, you'll earn 176 hours of paid time off (PTO) each year to spend time with those in your circle, travel, relax and live a balanced lifestyle. As a physician, you’ll reach sabbatical at just 7 years with an additional 80 hours of PTO that grows to 200 hours when you celebrate 15 years at Gundersen.
Other perks for physicians and advanced practice clinicians:
- Paid holidays
- Flexible schedules
- Gundersen Credit Union membership
- Cellphone carrier and gym membership discounts
- On-site childcare center on our La Crosse Campus
- Free parking at all our locations and monthly bus pass for La Crosse-area employees
When it comes to saving for your future, you'll have a fantastic partner in Gundersen Health System.
Take advantage of our voluntary 401(k) retirement plan and make pre-tax or Roth post-tax contributions to your retirement savings. Gundersen will match up to 4% of your contributions, and provide an annual base contribution to accelerate your plan savings.
While you can’t plan for unexpected life changes, you can be prepared. And you can take comfort in knowing that you aren’t alone when it comes to covering unexpected expenses. We offer income protection benefits to boost your financial security and provide you with peace of mind, including:
- No-cost professional liability insurance
- Full salary continuation for up to 180 days if you are unable to work – with no premium
- Long-term disability (LTD) coverage that’s fully paid by Gundersen
- Life insurance options for you, your spouse and children
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Identify theft protection
- Pet insurance