Family Medicine Residency
Gundersen has a 40-year history of excellence in graduate medical education in multiple specialties, including: general surgery, internal medicine, transitional year, podiatry, pharmacy and oral maxillofacial surgery. In 2016, Gundersen developed an innovative Family Medicine Residency to train family medicine physicians with a special emphasis on full-spectrum rural training. Along with the training provided by our other high-quality residency programs, our family medicine residents graduate with exceptional training in ambulatory care and in the important areas of inpatient medicine, pediatrics and OB/GYN.
We encourage you to consider our residency and all that it has to offer.
Our Family Medicine Residency improves the lives of our patients, families and communities by training compassionate family physicians in an innovative and supportive patient-centered learning practice. The program focuses on safely meeting patients' comprehensive needs and preferences, all while enhancing patients’ relationship with a caring personal physician.
What sets us apart?
- Housing is available for residents who prefer to live nearby in a supportive resident community
- Superb inpatient experiences in Pediatrics and Internal Medicine
- Flexible approach to OB training, with excellent opportunities for those who desire such career training
- Strong wellness program and an excellent work-life balance
- High-quality, physician-led, integrated medical system spanning three states, more than 30 clinics and six critical access hospitals
- Excellent Family Medicine Residency Clinic that is well-respected, providing full-spectrum care for our region
- Focus on making full-spectrum physicians with an emphasis on rural training
- A work life balance that is favorable with a minimum amount of night medicine and home call. Presently, we have no overnight hospital call.
- A wellness committee composed of residents and faculty to plan activities and functions to build wellness.
- Location in the beautiful driftless area of Wisconsin, one of the most beautiful areas in the country
An inside look at our program
Advice from a former resident
Mission & Vision
- Provide community outreach and collaborate with others who are similarly focused on improving the health and lives of our patients
- Support our resident colleagues through the physically, emotionally and intellectually challenging period of training so they retain their compassion for patients and passion for family medicine
- Provide appropriate guidance and supervision at all times so our residents can acquire the skills, knowledge and attitudes they need while protecting the safety and preferences of patients
- Strive to create a vibrant, diverse practice environment that addresses the comprehensive needs of our patients through highly functional teams of professionals all working at the top of their license and training
- Work tirelessly to continually improve the safety and quality of the care we provide to our patients
- Engage in research to learn how to better provide care and improved outcomes for our patients rather than performing research for the sake of research
- Assure that every patient can develop a close therapeutic relationship with their personal physician in our practice