While microneedling has been around for decades, the skincare treatment still causes confusion. Who's it for? What does it do? How does it work? Rest assured, as a beauty insider we've got exclusive answers for you to these questions and more.
What makes microneedling so special?
Many microneedling devotees love the treatment because it's great at multitasking: It can simultaneously diminish acne scars, minimize large pores, fade stretch marks and lessen fine lines and wrinkles. Considering downtime after the procedure is limited and that microneedling can produce laser-like results, it's a favorite among some men and women who have their sights set on a rejuvenated complexion.
The treatment involves using a high-tech device equipped with a tiny needle to cause controlled microscopic injuries to your skin's surface. The technique stimulates the body's natural collagen and elastin production, activating the wound healing process and encouraging the release of growth factors to heal damaged skin.
When will I see results?
Many people report noticing superficial improvements in just a week, with more pronounced results over time as deeper layers of your skin continue to heal and regenerate. This timeline can vary between people based on your skin's reaction to the treatment.
Microneedling also works in three phases, so most people see the best results after three treatments spaced several weeks apart:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Microneedling triggers your immune system to disinfect the treatment area, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to generate new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. Your treatment area experiences new growth of collagen and elastin, as well as a new network of blood vessels.
- Phase III: Remodeling. Growth in the previous two steps leads to new dermal tissues, blood vessels and collagen for a healthier complexion.
What is recovery like after microneedling?
Microneedling requires little downtime. While your face may be redder than usual for about a day, you can generally resume all normal activities and routines on the third day after your treatment.
What else should I know before having microneedling?
You need to stay out of the sun the day of your appointment and the day after. Microneedling also shouldn't be used on areas where you have open cuts, cold sores or infections.
How much does microneedling cost?
- One full face treatment is $300 or a package of four treatments is $900.
- One full face treatment plus your neck is $450 or a package of four treatments is $1,350.
- One neck treatment or one treatment zone on your face is $175.
- One décolleté treatment is $300.
Advice to keep your skin looking ageless
Holiday gift guide: Top beauty products
5 questions to ask before a cosmetic laser treatment
Is wearing a face mask causing your acne?