Take the test!
Whether you are just thinking about improving your health, stuck at a plateau or hitting your stride it is important to consider all aspects of a healthy lifestyle. The practices below are all foundations of a healthy lifestyle. Ask yourself if the following statements are true about you.
Most of the time…
- I eat when I’m hungry
- I eat something within one hour of waking
- I eat 3-5 meals per day
- I plan meals made up of 3-5 different food groups
- I drink water as my primary fluid source
- I take part in both cardiovascular and strength-training exercise 5-6 times per week
- I stay active by taking the stairs instead of elevators, parking further away in parking lots and keeping up with house chores
- I use healthy coping strategies instead of using alcohol and/or food
- I balance the hectic pace of life with times that are more calm and relaxed
- I rarely choose food in response to triggers (stress, boredom, anxiety, sadness, etc…)
- I get enough sleep so that I feel rested throughout the day
Congratulate yourself for the things that are going well! Now take a look at the statements that were not true about you. When you are ready, choose a statement that is not true and take a step toward changing it. For example if you are currently choosing food in response to stress, think of something else that you do instead, such as taking a walk or trying meditation.
A healthy lifestyle is not just about food. Nutrition, coping and movement are all crucial to nurturing a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
How to get more vitamin C
Do juice cleanses really work?
Fresh ideas for fruit
Fruit and yogurt parfaits