Gundersen's La Crosse Campus was a packed with pink Saturday, Sept. 8, as 6,400 walkers and another 1,000 volunteers participated in Gundersen Medical Foundation's 13th annual Steppin' Out in Pink.
By the numbers
- 480 breast cancer survivors (record)
- 6,400 participants
- 1,800 first-time participants
- 372 teams (record)
- 1,000 volunteers
- $400,000 raised in 2018
- $5.2 million raised since inception
"It was an amazing day. Thanks to the incredible support of our community, we raised $400,000 for local breast cancer research and awareness, with pledges still coming in," comments Debbie Kroner, associate director of Development – Special Events, Gundersen Medical Foundation.
Steppin' Out in Pink continues to be a strong event. "The makeup of participants has evolved since Steppin' Out in Pink began in 2006. There are a lot of families and a lot more breast cancer survivors. This year, in particular, we had 480 survivors registered. Having two walking routes, including the shorter 2.5-mile Kwik Trip to the Finish route, was also a huge success," says Debbie.
Since its inception in 2006, Steppin' Out in Pink has brought in nearly $5.2 million to fund breast cancer research initiatives at Gundersen Medical Foundation; provide assistance to breast cancer patients in need; and lend support to the services of the Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders and Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care.
A huge thank you to the 1,000 volunteers this year who gave so generously of their time and support, and to our 100-plus community sponsors.
"In our thirteenth year, I'm beyond proud of the progress we've made for local breast cancer research and the number of lives touched. Every walker, sponsor, volunteer and supporter helps bring us closer to a cure. We appreciate each and every one of you," says Debbie.
Raffle winners announced
Thank you, also, to everyone who supported Steppin' Out in Pink through the "Under the Pink Top" vendors and raffles. Congratulations to the winners:
- Packers tickets – Diana Wilber, Trempealeau
- Steppin' Out in Pink T-shirt quilt – Sue LaCrosse, Service Excellence
- Amish crafted quilt – Joy Rumball, La Crosse
- Pink limousine ride – Lauren Dahl, La Crosse
Gundersen Medical Foundation continues to accept donations for Steppin' Out in Pink. If you have questions, please call (608) 775-6600.
Proceeds from Steppin' Out in Pink will continue to:
- Fund breast cancer research initiatives at Gundersen Medical Foundation, including laboratory and outcomes-based research
- Provide life-saving mammograms for underinsured and uninsured women in our community
- Help pay for basic needs of cancer patients during treatment, including food, transportation and lodging expenses
- Fund numerous breast cancer awareness programs, such as Living in Pink Support Group and our Survivorship Clinic
- Educate Cancer Center staff on cutting-edge technology and treatments
Decorah man grateful for what he has despite losing finger
Movin’ & More with Gundersen Boscobel Area Hospital and Clinics
Project SEARCH students celebrate graduation and new jobs
Man thankful for care team following life-altering accident