What is a medical home?
At Gundersen, a Medical Home is where...
- You and your family are cared for by a healthcare team who knows you and your medical history.
- You go for all your healthcare including wellness visits and when you are ill or injured.
- Having the same team follow all your care gives us an advantage in spotting new or worsening problems early.
- You are an active partner in your own care with emphasis on preventive care to keep you healthy rather than just treating you when you’re sick.
- Same-day appointments for non-emergency illnesses and injuries are usually available.
- Another member of your team can care for you if you need to be seen and your primary-care provider is unavailable.
- If you need care beyond a routine clinic visit, your Medical Home team will coordinate all your care, including specialty and hospital services.
- You have computer access to your medical records and Medical Home team.
At Gundersen, our way of caring for patients has long followed Medical Home principles and this model of care is practiced at all Gundersen clinics. So far, Family Medicine, General Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at these locations have been certified:
- Wisconsin at La Crosse, Blair, Galesville, Independence, Onalaska, Prairie du Chien, Sparta, Tomah, Viroqua and Whitehall Clinics
- Iowa at Calmar, Decorah, Fayette, Lansing, Postville, Waukon and West Union Clinics
- Minnesota at Harmony, Houston, La Crescent and Spring Grove Clinics
If you have a Gundersen primary care provider, you already enjoy the benefits of a Medical Home. Continue to visit your Medical Home for a wellness visit at least once a year or as recommended by your provider.
If you don't have a primary care provider, make Gundersen Health System your Medical Home.
For help in selecting a primary care provider and Medical Home, call (608) 775-0601 or (800) 362-9567.