You've tried to get pregnant without success. Now what? Gundersen Fertility Services has a personalized evaluation process, tailored to you and your partner's background and needs. A complete health profile is created to give you options and prevent unnecessary tests and procedures.
We know your situation is unique. Learn more about our fertility evaluations and how they benefit you.
Our team runs tests at specific times during the menstrual cycle to gather the most accurate information. Our strategies and procedures include:
- Proof of ovulation: Specialists chart body temperature, use kits to measure hormone release, deploy ultrasound technology, and provide medication to stimulate ovulation.
- Cervical mucus evaluation: We sample cervical mucus after intercourse to determine whether sperm is reaching the uterus and egg.
- Hormone testing: Blood tests can be used to evaluate ovaries; thyroid, pituitary and adrenal glands; and insulin-producing cells.
- Transvaginal ultrasound: Probe gives accurate imaging of the pelvic organs and can detect ovarian cysts; fibroids or polyps in the uterus; ectopic (tubal) pregnancies; and intrauterine pregnancies.
- Testing of uterine cavity and fallopian tubes: Fluid is placed in the uterus, and an ultrasound is used to view the fluid in the uterus and fallopian tubes. Another test determines whether a woman's fallopian tubes are open and outlines the contour of the uterine cavity.
- Laparoscopy: This surgical procedure looks inside the pelvis at the reproductive organs to diagnose and treat endometriosis; scar tissue growth; ovarian cysts; and uterine fibroids.
- Hysteroscopy: A slender, tubular instrument is placed through the cervix into the uterine cavity to view the inside of the uterus to diagnose and treat intrauterine (inside of the uterus) fibroids, polyps and scar tissue.
- Myomectomy (removal of uterine fibroids): Larger fibroids can be removed during a mini-laparotomy. Most patients go home the day of their myomectomy, whether it was done by laparoscopy or mini-laparotomy.
We provide a variety of male infertility therapies, but our care begins with a semen analysis to evaluate your fertility potential. Men can naturally vary in sperm count and motility. If a problem is confirmed, you may be referred to specialist who will provide a physical examination and hormone evaluation.
Our strategies and procedures include:
- Insemination: Sperm is placed directly into a woman's uterus
- If a varicocele is diagnosed, the dilated veins in the scrotum can by ligated (tied off)
- Sperm can be recovered surgically if the cells are unable to exit the reproductive tract
Request an evaluation or appointment