Ear, Nose & Throat
Head & Neck Surgery
Gundersen's Otolaryngology department provides treatment and surgical evaluation for conditions and disorders of the ears, nose, throat, head and neck.
What is an otolaryngologist?
An otolaryngologist is the professional name for an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist. Otolaryngologists are not only medical doctors, but they are also surgeons who perform complex operations to restore hearing, relieve sleep apnea, remove head, neck and throat cancers, and restore structures of the face and neck.
Gundersen otolaryngologists work collaboratively with many medical specialties (e.g., Audiology, Endocrinology, Medical Oncology, Plastic Surgery, Speech Pathology) to provide comprehensive and coordinated care.
Conditions we treat:
Our specialists treat children and adults for a wide range of conditions, including:
Treatments we offer
Whenever possible, Gundersen otolaryngologists aim to treat your condition without surgery. When surgery is needed, they offer several options in a wide range of locations, keeping care close to home.
- Cleft lip/palate repair: Gundersen otolaryngologists join other pediatric specialists to provide a comprehensive, personalized plan for treatment and follow-up for patients with cleft lip/palate. Our Cleft Lip/Palate Clinic is one of only four in the state.
- Cochlear implants: Gundersen audiologists provide hearing evaluation and many hearing loss solutions—from mild to severe. Otolaryngologists may get involved in your care if a hearing device needs to be surgically placed (e.g. cochlear implants).
- Ear tubes: If you or your child suffers from chronic ear infections or fluid in your ears, our otolaryngologists can insert a tiny tube into your eardrum, so fluids can drain more easily. The tubes often fall out on their own, or we can remove them. Our specialists also perform ear drum surgery to repair a damaged eardrum, stop infection and improve hearing.
- Facial plastic surgery: From facial trauma to acne scars to brow lifts, our otolaryngologists work closely with our plastic surgeons to get the results you are seeking.
- Head and neck cancer: All new cancer diagnoses of the head and neck are reviewed by Gundersen's Head and Neck Tumor Board. Rest assured that not only your providers, but many other experts, meet behind-the-scenes to determine the best treatment plan for your individual case.
- Nasal and sinus surgery: If over-the-counter treatments aren't working for your sinus pain, balloon sinuplasty can help open passages leading to your sinuses, leaving the lining of your nasal passage unharmed. Another minimally invasive option, called endoscopic sinus surgery, can repair blocked or infected sinuses.
- Neck lump removal: Our otolaryngologists will surgically remove enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. When a diagnosis is unknown, the removed tissue is sent to the lab for study.
- Septoplasty: Our otolaryngologists perform this procedure to correct a deviated septum—a displacement of the bone and cartilage that divides your two nostrils.
- Skin cyst and skin cancer removal
- Snoring and sleep apnea procedures: If sleep problems are keeping someone in your house awake at night, Gundersen sleep specialists and otolaryngologists provide several treatment options. Ask about Inspire therapy for sleep apnea.
- Surgery of the saliva gland: An otolaryngologist may remove your paratoid gland (the major and largest salivary gland) if you have a tumor, chronic infection or blockage.
- Surgery to treat airway obstruction
- Thyroid removal: Thyroid surgery is often advised if you have thyroid cancer, large thyroid glands or overactive thyroid glands.
- Tonsil and adenoid surgery: It may be time to remove your tonsils and/or adenoids if you suffer from chronic strep infections, enlarged tonsils, trouble breathing or snoring.
- Vocal cord surgery: Our otolaryngologists perform vocal cord surgery to remove masses, nodules, polyps or tumors. Vocal cord surgery may also be needed to remove scar tissue.
La Crosse and Onalaska Otolaryngology is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.