Job shadows and observation information
Gundersen Health System defines an Observational experience as the observation of a medical professional in his/her professional role with no physical patient contact.
Limited to 1 experience 8 hours or less
Must be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate. A Shadow experience is for students planning on pursuing a medical career. Shadows are only intended to confirm interest in a career in medicine, not to fulfill patient care requirements for application purposes.
Observation experience - post secondary education requirement
Limited to 60 hours
Must be at least 18 years of age and the observation experience is a requirement of post-secondary education (after high school graduation). Typically a prerequisite into a program of study. Examples include Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, etc.
Forms and applications
Volunteer roles provide students with the opportunity to explore the health care field and pursue assignments in line with their skills and interests. A minimum commitment of one semester and or six months is required.
High school job shadow experience
- Students who wish to shadow/observe should provide 30 days notice of their intent to shadow and complete all forms under Forms and Applications above. Applications will not be considered until all completed forms are submitted.
- It can take up to 15 days to process/approve students shadow application and to coordinate shadow experience.
- If you have to cancel once your shadow has been scheduled, please call Medical Education to let us know you are not able to make your shadow. It will be up to each individual department to decide if they are able to reschedule or not.
- Students are asked to wear professional attire
- We try to limit job shadow experiences to one per student due to the high volume of shadow requests we receive, this allows all learners the opportunity to shadow within Gundersen Health system.