When patients are going through treatment for cancer, finances can get tight. Some patients struggle to pay for basic necessities like food, heat and gas, causing another worry when they already have so many. Paula's Purse - a collaboration between Gundersen Medical Foundation, the Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders and the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care - is a new fund created with these patients in mind.
You can contribute to the fund any time and various fundraisers will be held throughout the year. The money raised for the fund will be distributed to cancer patients and their families who need help buying basic necessities.
To help fill Paula's Purse:
- Make a donation online and designate Paula's Purse.
- Mail a donation to: Gundersen Medical Foundation, 1836 South Ave., La Crosse, WI 54601. Make checks payable to Gundersen Medical Foundation and indicate Paula's Purse in the check memo.
- Contribute to a Paula's Purse fundraiser.
The meaning behind 'Paula's Purse'
Paula's Purse has special meaning to those working in the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care. The fund is named after Paula Tower, a Gundersen mammography technologist who worked in the Center for Breast Care for more than 16 years. Paula lost her battle with cancer, but she will never be forgotten by those whose lives she touched.
Nominate someone for the Paula Tower Award
Every year the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care, supported by Gundersen Medical Foundation, presents the Paula Tower Award to individual from the Coulee Region who exemplifies the selfless giving of time and energy to advance the message of hope for a future without breast cancer. The award honors Paula Tower, a Gundersen mammography technologist who passed away from breast cancer in 2007.
Criteria for the award:
- The nominee must reside in Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin.
- The nominee must have given his or her time and energy to help support local breast cancer programs or made a significant influence in our community by dealing with breast cancer education, screening, treatment and/or support programs.
Please complete the below nomination form: