La Crosse, WI 54601
Love + medicine is who we are, it's what we do, it's why people want to work here. If you’re looking for a job to love, apply today.
Schedule Weekly Hours:24
GHS Emergency Services is recruiting to fill a 0.6 FTE EMT position. This position is generally scheduled from 7:00-19:00 on a rotating basis to include occasional weekends. This role qualifies for full employee benefits and shift differential pay for evening and weekend hours.
Our Emergency Services Department is the premier emergency care destination in the region. EMTs in this department are expected to perform with a high degree of clinical and professional aptitude – prior work experience in an emergency or pre-hospital setting is strongly preferred. GHS is a level II Trauma Center and our EMTs help deliver patient care as part of a professional team of Physicians, RNs, Paramedics, RTs and Social Workers in this busy and dynamic department. Please apply with a resume and cover letter explaining your qualifications, interest, and availability.
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) functions as a collaborative team member under the supervision of the RN in performing delegated medical and nursing functions. The EMT assists in the treatment and care of all patients of all ages in accordance with established policies, protocols, and standards to provide quality care in Emergency Services.
1. Assists and collaborates with the RN and other members of the healthcare team on delivering patient care in an emergency setting.
2. Demonstrates effective communication skills with the healthcare team members and provides accurate, concise documentation.
3. Demonstrates knowledge and use of monitor/defibrillatorsincluding performing defibrillation, pacing, and cardioversion. Respond to Code Blues and CRT throughout the institution and provide monitoring, defibrillating and other skilled measures as indicated.
4. Works as member of trauma team in Emergency Services, performing technical skills in care and treatment of patients with multiple injuries.
5. Creates and maintains sterile field and assists providers with sterile procedures.
6. Provides specialty care services including, but not limited to EKG's and blood glucose testing (glucose testing not done in Urgent Care).
7. Achieve and maintain competency on EMT checklist in addition to maintaining department readiness to ensure availability of supplies.
8. Works with EMT students and new orientees to supervise their education experience and delivery of optimal patient care.
9. Without supervision initiates percutaneous lines on appropriate patients, including but not limited to site selection, catheter selection, establishment and maintenance of appropriate flow rate.
10. Responsible for collection of DOT and non-DOT specimens for drug testing as well as conducting breath alcohol testing during off hours to fulfill contracts between Gundersen Business Health and local businesses. Must maintain competency in the proper specimen collection as well as documentation. (applies in La Crosse Emergency Services only)
11. Provide discharge instructions for case/splint care and maintenance, Foley care and maintenance, and provide crutch/cane/walker training.
12. Provides direction to ensure accurate ordering of supplies and equipment.
13. Demonstrates role accountability by adhering to Gundersen Lutheran mission statements, policies, and confidentiality statement.
14.Provides daily checks and maintains logs of emergency medical equipment and supplies.
15. Witness waste of controlled substances with authorized staff in the state of Wisconsin. Will not witness waste in Minnesota and Iowa, both states require licensed individuals or registered pharmacy technician staff only to witness the waste of controlled substances.
Education and Learning:
High School Diploma or equivalency
No experience required.
1 year prior EMT or direct patient care experience.
License and Certifications:
National Registry Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (NREMT) or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic (NREMT-P) or Wisconsin Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B)
If working in Minnesota an Emergency Medical Technician - Minnesota (EMT-MN) is required.
Current Infant-Adult Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (with hands on learning) from one of the following programs; American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
Age Specific Population Served:
Infant (less than 1 year)
Pediatric (1 - 12 years)
Adolescent (13 - 17 years)
Adult (18 - 64 years)
Geriatric (65 years & older)
Category I - All Employees in this job title have a reasonably anticipated risk of occupational exposure to blood and/or other potentially infectious materials.
Exposed to infectious diseases.
Subject to hazards.
Physical Requirements/Demands Of The Position:
Walking/Standing Continually (67-100% or 8 hours)
Carrying - Long Carry (>50 feet) Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 75-100
Carrying - Short Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 75-100
Carrying - Right Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 75-100
Carrying - Left Carry Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 75-100
Push/Pull (Static Force) Occasionally (6-33% or 3 hours) Number of lbs 75-100
If you need assistance with any portion of the application or have questions about the position, please contact [email protected] or call 608-775-0267
Equal Opportunity Employer