Is Bariatric Surgery Right for You?
Bariatric surgery has been around for more than 25 years and has delivered real long-term success for patients who have failed with diet, exercise and behavior modification. But is it right for you?
Ideally, candidates for weight-loss surgery should meet these criteria:
- A body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher (roughly 100 lbs. or more over ideal weight)
- BMI between 35 and 39.9 with significant obesity-related medical problems
- A long history of obesity with multiple failed attempts at weight loss, preferably with organized, medically supervised programs
- Between 20 and 65 years old (case-by-case basis for patients over 65)
- Not actively smoking or abusing drugs or alcohol
- Committed to long-term follow up and lifestyle modifications
If you're considering weight-loss surgery, watch our 12-minute online informational seminar Understanding Your Weight Management Options.