Many people struggle to lose weight and keep it off. If your weight is starting to affect your health and your way of life, and you've tried other weight loss methods without success, it may be time to consider bariatric surgery. Weight-loss surgery has been life-changing for many people. Is it right for you?
At Gundersen Health System we offer you a choice of three weight-loss surgical options and a non-surgical, Intragastric Balloon option:
Gundersen's bariatric surgery program is one of the best in the country and we have the numbers to prove it:
- More than 1,500 bariatric surgeries have been performed.
- Gundersen patients lose about 72% of excess weight by the end of the first year after surgery, and maintain significant weight loss long term compared to 66% nationally.
- Just two days is the average hospital stay compared to a national average of 3.4 days.
- Gundersen has one of the lowest incidences of post-surgery problems including intestinal leaks at 0.2% compared to a 2% national average and stomal stenosis rate (narrowing of pouch outlet) at 1% compared to 10 percent nationally.
- 84% were on medications for diabetes before surgery compared to 22% one year after surgery.
- In addition to better diabetes management, patients see improvement or resolution of other health issues, such as:
- High blood pressure
- Joint pain
- Urinary incontinence
- Acid reflux
- Sleep apnea
- There have been no deaths from bariatric surgery at Gundersen. The national death rate due to surgical complications is one in 100-200.
If you're considering bariatric surgery somewhere other than Gundersen, you owe it to yourself to get a bariatric surgery second opinion from the experts at Gundersen, especially if:
- You've not been given a choice of procedures
- Other health problems may make your surgery riskier
- You are particularly anxious about choosing the right treatment option
If your doctor is part of another healthcare organization, you can still select Gundersen for a second opinion and ultimately, your bariatric surgery. Check with your insurance plan to see if you are covered. If not, we can provide you with a cost estimate. We'll work with you and your care provider to get access to the necessary medical records and test results. For more on a second opinion for bariatric surgery, call (608) 775-0055.
To learn more
For more information about weight-loss surgery options offered at Gundersen, watch our free online informational seminar Understanding Your Weight Management Options.
MBSAQIP Accredited Bariatric Surgery Center
Gundersen Bariatric Surgery has been accredited by the MBSAQIP since 2007.
Bariatric Surgery is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.