There is no panel matching the key "MicroAlert"


Urinary problems can be painful, embarrassing and disruptive - affecting all aspects of your life. The good news is almost all of them are treatable, especially when they're caught early.

No matter what your sex or age, Gundersen's board-certified urologists and urology team will care for you and to get you feeling better again. We provide medical and surgical treatments of the urinary tract, including the kidneys, bladder, ureters and urethra.

Common urology problems

Common conditions treated in Urology include:

Pediatric Urology: When your child is having a urologic problem, Gundersen's Pediatric Urology team can help.

Using the latest technology

To provide you with safer, more precise treatments, fewer complications and a faster recovery, we use the latest technology for urology problems, including the da Vinci® robotic surgical system and lasers.

Care close to home

You won't have to go far for help with your urologic problem. Gundersen urology services are available at many locations.

Frequently asked questions

I keep getting bladder infections (urinary tract infections). What should I do?
First, ask your doctor to have a urine culture done (through a catheterized sample if you are a female, or a clean voided midstream sample if you are male). This test will help eliminate confusion as to whether or not an infection actually exists. Having repeated documented infections would be a reason to see a urologist.

If I have a back ache, it's probably caused by my kidney, right?
Probably not. Most back pain is related to muscles or bones. If a kidney stone is suspected, your primary doctor should order the proper diagnostic tests. If you do have a kidney stone, you should be seen in Urology.

Should I be concerned if I see blood in my urine?
Yes. Blood in the urine is not a normal finding. There may be several reasons for it. Infection should be ruled out first. If you are taking anticoagulant medicine (blood thinners) they may be responsible and your doctor will determine whether or not you need to see a Urology doctor.

Can I get a vasectomy in the Urology department?
Yes. The procedure is done in the office using a local (injected) anesthetic.

If I'm having trouble urinating, could it be a problem with my prostate?
If you are a male, then yes, it could be related to your prostate or possibly some other cause. You can be seen in Urology for this problem.

If I suspect I have a sexually transmitted disease, should I contact Urology?
No. You should see your primary care doctor. The Infectious Disease department also treats this health problem.

Do I need a referral from another doctor to be seen in Urology?
No. Our receptionists will ask you questions about the nature of your concern so you will be seen by the doctor who specializes in that area.

Can my child see a urologist?
Yes. We have a pediatric urologist on staff.

La Crosse and Winona Campus Urology is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.

what to expect

We've taken steps at all our locations to keep you and our staff healthy and safe. Here's what to expect when you visit us.

Stay safe