"The faculty and staff at Gundersen are outstanding and will go above and beyond to help you succeed. They create a supportive, open, and friendly environment that promotes your growth as a physician." — Jason Darrah, MD, former chief resident, currently a Cardiology Fellow at University of Nebraska.
- 95% of graduates over the last ten years have passed boards
- Proven preparation for fellowship or general internal medicine/hospitalist employment
- Academic, evidence-based teaching environment
- Superior camaraderie among residents
- Multiple clinical research opportunities available
- Very strong focus on quality and patient safety throughout institution
- Flexible scheduling to meet your personal and professional goals
- La Crosse was rated #6 in best places to live in the 2009 U.S. News and World Report
- Gundersen was ranked in 2016 as one of Americas 50 best hospitals by Healthgrades® for the third consecutive year.
As an internal medicine resident, you will obtain both the inpatient and outpatient experience needed to smoothly transition to independent internal medicine or hospitalist practice as a competent physician upon graduation. This program also emphasizes diversity of training. Each year, a number of our residents successfully obtain competitive fellowships. Our graduates have obtained fellowship positions in:
- Pulmonary/critical care
- Infectious disease
- Palliative care
We are the designated western campus of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. We have University of Wisconsin medical students continuously rotating throughout our medical center. We also host many fourth year students from around the United States who come here for clerkships.
General medicine, cardiology and ICU teams consist of an attending, senior resident, two interns and one to two medical students, creating a familiar academic environment you have become accustomed to throughout your medical training.
Since 1970, Gundersen Medical Foundation has prided itself in providing the very best internal medicine education and training. We offer a personalized curriculum to meet your educational goals. Our personable and dedicated staff physicians make your learning a priority, offering the perfect blend of autonomy and supervision to enhance your education. Gundersen stresses a culture of mutual respect both when providing patient care and when educating residents and students.
Gundersen has a long tradition of providing the highest quality graduate-level medical education. Your success as a physician is our goal as a program, and we work tirelessly to ensure excellence within our internal medicine program. We would love to hear any questions you have and would welcome you to visit our institution.