If you were driving your vehicle and suddenly lost control, would you know what to do?
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for United States teenagers, accounting for more than one in three deaths. Young people are at a greater risk for traffic accidents due to one major reason—lack of experience.
Gundersen's Division of Trauma is committed to keeping teens safe by offering a Teen Car Control Clinic. The clinic will not only teach the fundamentals of vehicle control during the classroom session, but it will also offer invaluable behind-the-wheel exercises.
During the in-car portion of the clinic, instructors will familiarize students with proper breaking concepts, vehicle weight transfer and cornering, and unexpected lane changes. The session is designed to heighten students' awareness and responsiveness to real-world situations and boost confidence in their own skills.
We require that a parent/guardian attend the course with the licensed teen (16 to 19 years of age).
This is a free clinic, but pre-registration is required. To ensure we can accommodate all who want to attend, a $50 deposit is required at registration and can be refunded after course completion on request. Payment can be made by credit card. If you cannot pay by credit card or choose to use a personal check, please call (608) 775-2011 to register.
Cancellations can be made by calling (608) 775-2011 before the registration deadline. Any cancellations made after the registration deadline will result in a forfeit of the $50 registration deposit. Registration deposits will also be forfeited if participants do not show up for the program.
Refund request made before the registration date will be processed the week prior to the class. Refund requests on the day of or after the courses will be processed approximately 1-2 weeks after.
You must use your own vehicle for the driving portion of the course. Vehicle requirements include:
- Car must be in good mechanical condition and safe in the opinion of the instructor. All cars will need to pass a brief safety inspection. No visible leaks of any kind.
- The car must be legally registered, licensed and insured to participant or their parent/legal guardian.
- No race cars or special-use vehicles. The use of Nitrous Oxide will not be allowed.
- Tires must have visible tread.
- The car and trunk must be cleaned of all loose items.
- The battery and spare tire must be secure.
- Have plenty of gas in the car for the day's event.
Dress comfortably and according to the weather. Closed toed shoes are required. Much of the course is outdoors.
Gundersen Health System La Crosse Campus - Parking Lot F