Medication drop boxes
If you have unused or unwanted medications at home, don't throw them away. Help protect the environment and local waterways by taking them to one of Gundersen Health System's convenient medication drop boxes.
- Gundersen La Crosse Clinic Pharmacy - 24/7
- Gundersen East Building Pharmacy - 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Gundersen Onalaska Clinic Pharmacy – 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Cass St. Pharmacy Gundersen Health System – 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Monday-Friday), 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Saturday)
- Sealed prescriptions
- Over-the-counter and pet medications
- Medical ointments and lotions
- Liquid medications
What's not allowed?
- IV Bags
- Infectious waste
- Medicines from businesses
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Household chemicals and cosmetics
Gundersen's four medication drop boxes are fully compliant with strict DEA regulations to prevent theft and tampering. Under Gundersen employee supervision, medications are emptied from the disposal containers, incinerated and taken to a secure disposal site.
Place your items in a drop box if:
- You have stopped taking the medication.
- Your dose has changed.
- You are using a different tablet or capsule size.
- The medicine is not in its original container.
- It is expired.
- You no longer need the medication.
You can prepare your medications for safe disposal by:
- Emptying the containers.
- Placing pills, vitamins, supplements, or liquids into a Ziploc plastic bag (We provide bags at each location.)
- Using permanent marker to remove personal information from the containers.