Family Medicine Residency
Gundersen has a long history of excellent graduate medical education in multiple specialties. While we provide top-notch residencies in general surgery, internal medicine, transitional year, podiatry, pharmacy and oral maxillofacial surgery, our family medicine residents will be unopposed in the important areas of inpatient pediatrics and OB/GYN.
We encourage you to consider our residency and all that it has to offer you.
Mission & Vision
Gundersen Family Medicine Residency Program improves the lives of our patients, families and communities by training compassionate family physicians in an innovative and supportive patient-centered learning practice focused on meeting patients' comprehensive needs and preferences safely, while enhancing the relationship with a caring personal physician.
To meet this mission we will:
- Provide community outreach and collaborate with others who are similarly focused on improving the health and lives of our patients.
- Support our resident colleagues through the physically, emotionally and intellectually challenging period of training so they retain their compassion for patients and passion for family medicine.
- Provide appropriate guidance and supervision at all times so our residents can acquire the skills, knowledge and attitudes they need while protecting the safety and preferences of patients.
- Strive to create a vibrant, diverse practice environment that addresses the comprehensive needs of our patients through highly functional teams of professionals all working at the top of their license and training.
- Work tirelessly to continually improve the safety and quality of the care we provide to our patients.
- Engage in research not for research's sake, but to learn how better to provide care and improved outcomes for our patients.
- Assure that every patient has the opportunity to develop a close therapeutic relationship with their personal physician in our practice.
The training sites for the Family Medicine Residency are new and beautiful. Residents train in a remodeled Family Medicine Residency Clinic work space. The space is designed for efficiency and to foster a collaborative learning environment.
The Clinic is adjacent to a newly constructed state-of-the-art inpatient hospital that is a mere 3-minute indoor walk away.
Except for one month of required rural training during PGY-II, all of the clinical training sites are within 5 miles and 97% are attached or adjacent to the Family Medicine Residency Clinic. There is no need to travel for experiences in pediatrics and obstetrics as is common in many other residencies.
If you choose to live on campus, you can even walk to work most days.
In the development and ongoing support of the Family Medicine Residency Program, Gundersen Medical Foundation has formed a close affiliation with the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health.
This collaboration benefits residents, faculty, both facilities and our communities by:
- Supporting residency faculty as educators and academic physicians
- Sharing resources that advance Family Medicine resident education
- Promoting medical student interest in Family Medicine graduate medical education within both UW-DFMCH affiliated and sponsored residency programs
- Partnering in service to our communities
- Highlighting the accomplishments of residents, graduates, and faculty