About our relationship with Gundersen Health System
In 2011, St. Joseph's Community Health Services began the process of affiliation with Gundersen Health System. As costs began to rise and the landscape of healthcare changed, it became necessary to affiliate with a larger health system to keep services local.
The benefits of affiliation
Gundersen Health System provides support and services to Gundersen St. Joseph's to ensure quality care is available close to home. Services include:
- Access to EPIC – Recognized as the market leader in medical record systems, Epic allows patient records to be maintained efficiently, recorded accurately and shared easily and securely with other health systems in the event that a patient has a medical need outside the region. EPIC also provides MyCare, giving patients secure, on-the-go access to their medical records.
- Access to a network of specialty services - Gundersen St. Joseph's is your local gateway to Gundersen Health System, which provides over 20 visiting specialists to Gundersen St. Joseph's, including surgeons, cardiologists, ophthalmologists, gynecologists and many more.
- Leveraging buying power - Being part of the Gundersen Health System provides Gundersen St. Joseph's with the buying power of a large system. As a result, Gundersen St. Joseph's is able to control costs and pass on those savings to the patient.
- IT support services - Information and communication technology is provided by Gundersen Health System to all affiliates. This grants Gundersen St. Joseph's the benefit of accessing the latest software updates, data security measures and communications technology.
- Departmental support services - All departments at Gundersen St. Joseph's benefit from collaboration with their counterparts within Gundersen Health System. This cultivates an environment of consistent improvement and a sharing of industry practices and information. The result is a better patient experience and more efficient processes.
- Standardization of care - Gundersen Health System provides a wide range of quality measures, improvement initiatives and process review protocols to ensure high standards of care are provided and maintained.
Gundersen Health System's commitment to rural healthcare
Sixty percent of Gundersen Health System patients live in the rural communities of southwestern Wisconsin, southeastern Minnesota and northeast Iowa. Gundersen is committed to enriching every life by providing a wide range of services as close to home as possible.
The importance of shopping local
Shopping local is hugely important for rural economies. Buying from your local store instead of traveling miles to a bigger city keeps money in the local economy, improving jobs, wages and standards of living. By receiving services at Gundersen St. Joseph's, you are shopping local. Similarly, Gundersen St. Joseph's is committed to reinvesting in patient care services and community wellness programming, boosting jobs and wages, and making donations to local causes.
Next: The case for local, quality healthcare.