Sports physical therapy
Whether you're bouncing back from an injury, treating pain or are committed to achieving your personal best, our sports physical therapists can help you get to the top of your game as quickly and safely as possible. From competitive athletes to weekend warriors, we treat sports-related injuries of all shapes and sizes.
What sets us apart?
- Our sports physical therapists have earned specialty certification to help rehabilitate athletes who have been injured—giving you unparalleled expertise that you won't find at your local gym. Specialty certification in sports physical therapy is voluntary training beyond a graduate degree and licensure.
- Our sports physical therapists practice collaboratively with our Sports Medicine physicians and surgeons, making coordination and quality of care as seamless as possible for you.
Meet our sports physical therapists
What services do we offer?
- Aquatic physical therapy: Aquatic physical therapy allows you to exercise with less stress to joints and healing tissues. It is used to treat a variety of health issues ranging from injury to surgery to arthritic pain.
- Blood flow restriction: Blood flow restriction rehabilitation allows you to exercise with significantly lighter weight but still build muscle strength and mass. Your physical therapist will use a specialized tourniquet to reduce just enough blood flow to create positive change.
- Dry needling: Dry needling is a drug-free way to help relieve muscle pain and improve function.
- Functional movement evaluation: A functional movement assessment helps identify tightness and weakness in the body, so you can correct them before they cause problems.
- Home exercise videos: Our therapists and trainers guide you through a variety of stretching and range of motion exercises, based on the site of your injury.
- Rehabilitation protocols: Our rehabilitation programs are evidence-based and soft tissue healing-dependent. Variations may be needed.
- Return-to-activity guidelines: Safety is our top priority when helping athletes return to play following an injury. We follow established protocols to help guide athletes by allowing participation in increasingly difficult physical activities.
- Strength assessment and balance testing: A short assessment with an isokinetic machine helps our Sports Medicine team take very accurate measurements of your muscle strength, customize a precise treatment plan and measure your progress.
- Sports performance training: Take your game to the next level with our personalized training programs for throwing, running, cycling and golf. Sport-specific conditioning will help you prevent injuries and achieve your personal best.
If sports physical therapy doesn't sound right for you, our physical therapy team might be a better fit for you.
Do I need a referral?
To ask a question online or request a call back, start by contacting us.
Cash Pay Services
With Sports Physical Therapy, you can choose whether you want to pay cash for your visit or bill to insurance. If you choose to pay cash, you will be asked for your payment in full when you check in for your appointment.
Explore our cash-pay prices
Sports Physical Therapy, Onalaska, is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.