Pregnancy & Birth
To keep mothers, babies and their families safe amid the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), Gundersen Health System is cancelling all in-person childbirth classes in La Crosse and Onalaska until further notice. We will post any updates or changes as information is available. If you have questions about childbirth preparation, please contact your primary care provider. You can also take advantage of our virtual classes that are now available.
At Gundersen Health System, we deliver more babies than any other hospital in western Wisconsin, so you get highly experienced staff caring for you and your growing family.
From the moment you learn that you're pregnant, our team will work with you to ensure the best possible health for you and your baby.
All of our providers and staff have completed training and certification to become the Coulee Region's only Baby Friendly Hospital. Their knowledge of infant feeding and mother-baby bonding will give your baby the best possible start in life.
We welcome you to take a tour so you know what to expect throughout your stay.
We offer a full range of prenatal and obstetrical services, including:
- Your choice of obstetrician, certified nurse midwife or family doctor
- Regular prenatal care, including ultrasound
- Optional water birth for low-risk pregnancies
- Prenatal classes
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC), with success rate of 94 percent (for women who were medically eligible to attempt VBAC and wanted one)
- Breastfeeding support from certified lactation consultants
- Free online pregnancy e-books and app
Specialty services available, if needed, for your peace of mind, include:
Prenatal care is offered at most of our primary care clinics and we deliver babies in the following communities:
La Crosse and Onalaska Obstetrics is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.