Specialty Pharmacy Service
Do you take special medicine for a complex health condition? Our Specialty Pharmacy Service can provide the skilled, personalized support you need. Whether you inject, inhale or swallow your medicine, there is no charge for this custom service. We are prepared and trained to help you safely manage your condition and medicine.
The Gundersen Health System Specialty Pharmacy Service can dispense medicines not offered through normal distribution due to:
- High cost
- Their use in treatment of rare health conditions
- Required special handling and storage
- Extra care, teaching or monitoring needed by patients taking specialty medicines
We can easily connect and consult with all Gundersen Health System providers. By working with your care team, Specialty Pharmacy Service staff will make sure you get correct medicine when you need it in the most cost-effective way.
Services we offer
Count on us to:
- Help you obtain prior authorization(s) as needed.
- Find financial assistance programs.
- Provide the information you need to take your medicine(s) the right way.
- Help you stay on track with your medicine and avoid delayed or missed doses.
- Help you manage side effects and symptoms.
- Answer questions about your medicine or condition.
- Inform you about insurance coverage limits for your medicine.
- Talk with you and your provider if a substitution is needed.
- Advise you promptly of recalls, delays or disasters that might affect your order.
- Work with you to find a source for your specialty medicine if we cannot fill your prescription.
- Help you transfer your prescription to some other pharmacy as needed.
- Keep you up to date on new information, precautions and other changes.
The Specialty Pharmacy Service will contact you to:
- Track your progress.
- Arrange delivery of your specialty medicine and supplies.
- Order refills of your specialty medicine before each refill due date.
- Review all medicines you take at least once every 3 months.
The limits of this program depend upon you, the patient. You must be willing to:
- Follow the directions of your provider and pharmacist
- Take your medicines as directed
- Talk with your pharmacist about your disease, health history and current health practices.
Quick and convenient refills
We make it easy to stay on track with your treatment with a reminder phone call a few days before it is time to refill your prescription. We will work with you on your preferred delivery time and location.
Free delivery or pick up
Free shipping is offered in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. Someone must accept and sign for the delivery. If you prefer, arrange to pick up your medicine and speak with a pharmacist in person at one of these locations:
Gundersen La Crosse Pharmacy, Level 1
(608) 775-5595 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 55595
1836 South Avenue
La Crosse, WI 54601
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday
Gundersen East Pharmacy, Level 1
(608) 775-1000 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 51000
724 Denton Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Gundersen Onalaska Pharmacy, Level 1
(608) 775-8699 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 58699
3111 Gundersen Drive
Onalaska, WI 54650
8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Your rights and responsibilities
You have certain rights and responsibilities when you participate in this patient management program. As a patient or as a parent or guardian of a minor patient —
You have the right to:
- Know how the Specialty Pharmacy Service program works.
- Have personal health information shared with the program only as required by state and federal law.
- Identify program staff members and their job titles.
- Speak with a staff member’s supervisor if you ask.
- Speak to a health professional.
- Be fully informed about Specialty Pharmacy Service.
- Be told about changes in or termination of Specialty Pharmacy Service.
- Decline to take part in, cancel consent, or leave this program at any time.
You have the responsibility to:
- Turn in all forms needed to take part in the program as required by law.
- Give correct clinical and contact information. Update program staff if and when there are any changes.
- Tell your provider you are taking part in a Specialty Pharmacy Service if he or she is not a Gundersen Health System staff member.
Participation in the Specialty Pharmacy Service does not take the place of follow up with your other healthcare providers.
Please contact Gundersen Specialty Pharmacy if you:
- Your insurance changes in any way.
- You have a new allergy.
- There is a change in your specialty medicine or any other medicine you take.
- You have a question about order status, side effects or any other concern.
- You need a specialty medicine refill before the refill due date. It may take a few days to order and prepare your refill. If you can, request your refill at least two business days before you need it.
- To transfer your prescription or ask for more information.
Specialty Pharmacy Service staff can assist you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. A pharmacist is always on call. Call toll-free (877) 208-1096.
(Specialty Pharmacy Service is housed in Gundersen La Crosse Pharmacy at 1836 South Ave., La Crosse.WI)