Slide into Safety
Gundersen Health System will hold the one day event for third grade students. Local third graders will attend Slide Into Safety, so they may learn how to stay safe and healthy over the summer. Over 40% of pediatric traumas in the Gundersen Health System service area occur in the summer months, while weather is fair and children are more likely to be unsupervised. Slide Into Safety addresses this statistic by ensuring children have the knowledge and skills necessary to stay safe over summer.
Elementary schools in the Coulee Region area (La Crosse, Monroe, Jackson, Vernon, and Trempealeau Counties) will be invited to participate in the program, which will occur in May 2019. Students will rotate through 12 stations that focus on injury prevention topics related to top injury categories such as motor vehicle safety, playground falls prevention, and pedestrian safety. In 2019, we hope to reach at least 700 children from 12 local schools. Classroom teachers attend the program with their students and parents will be invited to participate as well.
Gundersen Health System organizes Slide Into Safety in collaboration with many community partners including:
- Station Leaders- Gundersen Health System, Mayo Health System, La Crosse Fire Department, La Crosse County Sheriff's Office, La Crosse Area YMCA, Big Event Company, La Crosse County Safe Routes to School Program, Wisconsin Bike Federation, La Crosse Police Department, Boys and Girls Club of La Crosse, Coulee Region Humane Society
- Program Logistics and Event Coordination- La Crosse Park and Recreation Department, The La Crosse Center, Onalaska Omni Center, La Crosse County Health Department, Monroe County Health Department, Gundersen Health System, Family and Children's Center, Stoddard Fire Department and Kids At Play.
- Donations-La Crosse Loggers Baseball, Grizzly's Grill and Saloon, Pepsi of La Crosse, Kwik Trip
Program funding provided by SWRTAC (Southwest Regional Trauma Advisory Council)
Links for Kids:
Safety Tips and Information:
Games and Activities:
Links for Parents:
Sports and Play:
Car and Road Safety:
- Seatbelt Fit (option one, two)
- Pedestrian Safety (option one, two)
Links for Teachers:
Safety Guides and Resources:
General Informational Safety Resources for Parents, Teachers, Kids