Family LEAP Program
If you're ready to get healthy as a family, our Family LEAP (Learn, Eat, Active Play) Program may be right for you. This is a 12-week weight management program for children, ages 7-16, who are at risk for weight-related health problems.
The program is designed to help families make positive behavior changes and motivate children to make healthier choices for a lifetime of better health. The program provides medical intervention, nutrition and behavioral health education/support, cooking demonstrations and fun physical activities to improve health of the whole family.
Family LEAP Program is led by YMCA staff and Gundersen healthcare providers from:
- Family Medicine/Bariatric Medicine
- Behavioral Health
- Nutrition Therapy
Goals of the program
- Improve eating habits
- Increase acceptance of fruits and vegetables
- Increase daily activity
- Improve self-esteem
- Achieve healthier weight for children
- Improve health of the whole family
- Childcare available at no cost for young children while families are participating in the program
- Free family Y membership during the first three months of the program; opportunity to continue that membership after three months, at a discounted rate if necessary
All classes are held at the Healthy Living Center, a Gundersen Health System and La Crosse Area Family YMCA partnership. The Healthy Living Center is located at the Dahl Family YMCA, 1140 Main St., La Crosse, WI 54601.
The Healthy Living Center includes spacious exam rooms, a dedicated fitness center for Gundersen and Y programming, flexible classroom space and a teaching kitchen.
For more information
A referral to the Family LEAP Program is needed prior to enrolling. To learn more, fill out the form below or call (608) 775-3092.