Prevention and Heart-Healthy Living
Diagnosing and treating your heart condition is just the beginning. To give you the best quality of life, ongoing preventive care is important and you need to practice a heart-healthy lifestyle including:
Gundersen's Exercise Physiology provides medically supervised exercise programs. The programs combine exercise, education and socialization to help you achieve and maintain your highest level of function, health and independence.
- Cardiac rehabilitation helps you after heart surgery, heart attack or other heart problems. It includes medically supervised activity, ongoing monitoring, and education about risk factor modification and a healthy lifestyle.
- Movin' and Improvin' is a safe, effective, medically supervised exercise program if you have medical concerns. It can be a lifelong exercise program or a short-term fitness extension.
To learn more about any of these programs talk to your primary care provider, cardiologist or call Exercise Physiology at (608) 775-2955.
Tobacco cessation programs
Smoking is one of the greatest risk factors for heart disease. But we understand that breaking tobacco dependence is difficult, so Gundersen's Office of Population Health offers several ways help you quit including classes, group and peer support, one-on-one counseling and products like nicotine replacement.
Tobacco cessation resources
To learn more about any of these programs, contact the Office of Population Health at (608) 775-5442 or e-mail email@example.com.
It's always important to eat a healthy diet, but especially when you're living with heart disease or heart failure, you are recovering from a heart attack or heart surgery, or you have risk factors such as high blood pressure or diabetes. To help you maintain a healthy heart for life, Gundersen Nutrition Therapy offers:
- A dietitian who specializes in nutrition for heart health
- Nutrition assessment
- Practical and individualized guidance on food selection
- Education on healthy food preparation and heart healthy recipes
- Nutrition classes and wellness programs
- Products for healthy living
Remember, even small changes can make a big impact on your heart health. Starting with a heart healthy diet can be a big step towards a healthier lifestyle.
For more information about heart healthy eating or to schedule an appointment with a Gundersen registered dietitian, call Gundersen Nutrition Therapy at (608) 775-3447 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 53447.
Maintain a healthy weight
Excess weight makes your heart work harder to pump blood. So losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight is important if you're living with heart disease or have risk factors.
Gundersen Nutrition Therapy offers several weight-loss options to give you the tools and confidence you need for long-term success. With lifestyle modification as the foundation, these medically proven options can help you lose weight:
- One-on-one counseling with a registered dietitian
- Counseling with a behavioral health therapist
- Medically supervised meal replacement program
- Bariatric (weight-loss) surgery
- Custom exercise program with an exercise physiologist
To schedule a free consultation to discuss your options or to get started today, call Gundersen Nutrition Therapy at (608) 775-5673 (LOSE).