Discover a new you with MetaBalance - Journey to Better Health
Okay, you've been thinking about it—getting help to get healthy. Well MetaBalance is a great way to start living a healthier lifestyle, especially if you have, or are at risk for, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes. Making healthier lifestyle choices isn't easy and doesn't happen overnight. It's a journey and the MetaBalance program can help.
Program is affordable
Are you covered by the Quartz Gundersen Lutheran Administrative Services ASO plan or Trane Technologies ASO plans? Successfully complete your MetaBalance program and it will cost you nothing. You pay a $250 commitment fee up front—think of it as motivation—but, you'll get 100 percent of it back when you successfully meet program criteria.
For those who are not on Quartz, there is an out-of-pocket option, please call for details.
Here's how it works
MetaBalance is an 11-month program of exercise, nutrition, behavior modification and support to help you lead a healthier life. You must qualify to be covered by insurance. It's targeted to those with type II diabetes or metabolic syndrome, a cluster of three or more risk factors, including:
- Blood sugar level of 100 mg/dL or more
- Waist measuring 35 inches or more in women and 40 inches or more in men or a body mass index greater than 30
- Triglyceride level of 150 mg/dL or greater
- Low HDL ("good" cholesterol) of less than 40 mg/dL in men and less than 50 in women
- High blood pressure of 130/85 mm Hg or greater
The goal of MetaBalance is to help you achieve at least a 7 percent weight loss and 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week. That's very do-able if you make a commitment to follow the program. You'll get plenty of help to change unhealthy behaviors and embrace a more active, healthier lifestyle.
MetaBalance has helped many people achieve better health and the proof is in the numbers. On average participants:
- Achieve and maintain 7 percent weight loss after one year of enrollment into the program
- See their 10-year coronary artery disease risk decrease by 23 percent
- See their 7.5-year diabetes risk go down by 25 percent
- Improve cholesterol and blood sugar levels
The next MetaBalance is not yet determined due to Covid-19.
The first 12 weeks you'll meet with a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist once a week from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Healthy Living Center, a Gundersen Health System-La Crosse YMCA partnership, at 1140 Main Street, La Crosse. The next eight months you'll meet once a month for two hours. During the first hour, you'll learn about nutrition, exercise and behavior modification; the second hour, you'll workout.
There's a saying that every journey begins with a single step.
For questions, call our exercise physiology team at (608) 775-2955.