Optometry with Ocular Disease Focus
The Optometry Residency with Ocular Disease Focus launched in 2015. Our team felt there was a prime opportunity to expose students to the outstanding learning environment, state-of-the art facilities and exceptional patient care provided at Gundersen Health System.
This residency program is made possible through the support of Gundersen Medical Foundation, the Gundersen Eye Clinics and Ophthalmology department. Drs. Gipp and Sterling are program co-directors of this one-year residency program.
The optometry resident sees her/his own patients and is responsible for their care and management, with the guidance of attending physicians. At Gundersen, the optometry resident has the opportunity to:
- Observe cataract, refractive, glaucoma, oculoplastic and retinal surgeries
- Observe and work with retinal, glaucoma and corneal specialists
- Work in the Traumatic Brain Injury/Low Vision Clinic
- Work one to two days a month at regional Gundersen Eye Clinics
- Participate in inter-professional education
- Teach and interact with interns/externs