The Optometry Residency with Ocular Disease Focus launched in 2015. Our team felt there was a prime opportunity to expose residents to the outstanding learning environment, state-of-the art facilities and exceptional patient care provided at Gundersen Health System.
This residency program is made possible through the support of Gundersen Medical Foundation, Gundersen Eye Clinics and Gundersen Ophthalmology/Optometry. Jennifer Gipp, OD, and Kristen Reierson, OD, are program co-directors of this one-year residency program.
The optometry resident sees their own patients and is responsible for their patients' care and management, with the guidance of attending physicians. At Gundersen, the optometry resident has the opportunity to:
- Observe cataract, glaucoma, corneal, oculoplastic, retinal and refractive surgeries
- Manage or observe post-operative care for the above surgeries
- Observe and work with retinal, glaucoma and corneal specialists
- Work in the Traumatic Brain Injury/Low Vision Clinic
- Work one to two days a week at Gundersen regional eye clinics (vehicle for travel is provided)
- Participate in inter-professional education with departments such as Neurology, Radiology, Endocrinology and Rheumatology
- Call La Crosse home
- Wellness program
Get to know us - Watch now
Why La Crosse - Watch now