Program Eligibility & Requirements
To ensure the safety of our patients and employees as a condition of employment, clinical privileges or program participation, Gundersen Health System (GHS) requires all staff to be fully vaccinated as defined by Employee Health Services for COVID-19 regardless of work location. In addition, all non-employee personnel, volunteers, residents, fellows, trainees, clinical and non-clinical contracted staff, students, researchers, temporary workers, contractors, and vendors, at any worksite or remote location, regardless of clinical responsibility or patient contact, are required to comply.
The deadline for receipt of application is Nov. 29, 2021. Application to the program will be via ERAS only.
The following information is required:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from U.S. physicians
- Dean's letter (or equivalent); IMGs must have letters of recommendation that clearly document U.S. clinical experience
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Results of standardized tests: USMLE, COMLEX, NBME, FLEX, FMGEMS or equivalent; all in-service exams; ECFMG certificate (IMG applicants)
- All residents must have a score greater than 200 on Part 1 and 2 of USMLE or equivalent with passing on the first attempt.
- All applicants must rank in the top 25 percent of their class.
- All applicants must be within two years of graduation from medical school.
- All applicants must have a minimum of one year of U.S. direct patient care activity. For U.S. medical students, their clinical rotations during medical school will meet this requirement.
- All applicants must have excellent spoken and written command of the English language.
- We will sign both H1 and J1 visa forms, but applicants are responsible for generation of the paperwork and also for payment of all fees for the visa.
Applications are reviewed after all the required information has been received. Personal interviews are by invitation only and are held numerous times during October, November, December and January.
Applicants – 2021-2022 Cycle
Welcome to the Gundersen Medical Foundation General Surgery Residency! We are excited that you are exploring our program and hope that the information on our website provides you with an accurate snapshot of the high caliber of surgical education and training we offer. We recognize that the application process is stressful for applicants—and we trust that you as an applicant recognize that we consider the selection process to be one of the most important elements of our mission. We encourage your application and look forward to reviewing your accomplishments in preparation to seek what I consider to be an incredible career.
There are a few things for you to know about our application cycle for the current year:
- All interviews will be in a virtual format.
- We do not offer more interview positions than we have spots to accommodate.
- Initial interview offers will go out to applicants Friday, Oct. 8, 2021. Applicants will have until Monday, Oct. 11, 2021 to accept or decline the interview offer.
- The first interview date will be Wednesday, October 20th, 2021 with subsequent interviews occurring Wednesdays throughout November, December and January.
- Interviews will involve an informal social hour with current General Surgery residents the Tuesday night before interview day.
- After the first interview offer release, subsequent interview offers will be made to fill remaining positions. Applicants will have 48 hours to respond to these offers.
- We will notify applicants Dec. 1 of our decision to place them on our waitlist or not offer them an interview.
- We will not be participating in the ERAS supplemental application for the ERAS 2022 cycle.
These guidelines are consistent with national trends and add some clarity to our process and anticipated process. We reserve the right to alter the initial interview offer date, as it is dependent on the ability to access applications.
Thank you for considering Gundersen Health System's General Surgery Residency Program for your residency. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Benjamin Jarman, MD
Program Director – General Surgery Residency