Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Fellowship Program
Gundersen Health System's Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Fellowship Program offers a unique opportunity for highly-qualified physician assistant (PA) fellows to advance their knowledge and skills in emergency medicine.
Gundersen has a rich history of medical education, and its leadership is dedicated to supporting the training of future clinicians. The 18-month PA fellowship is based in La Crosse, Wis., at Gundersen's Level II Trauma Center and Emergency Services department. Didactic sessions are taught by board-certified emergency physicians and PAs in the department, with additional guest specialty lecturers. Procedural training is conducted at Gundersen's Integrated Center for Education. Additional experiences will include rotations through Gundersen's affiliated Critical Access Hospital Emergency Services departments, EMS experience with our GundersenAIR and Gundersen Tri-State Ambulance, and airway management with anesthesiology providers.
Our goal is to train motivated PAs to become skilled, knowledgeable, compassionate emergency medicine providers able to operate with a high level of autonomy in regional and urban emergency departments.
Emergency Services Information
- Level II ACS-verified Trauma Center
- Stroke Center with 24/7 neuro-interventional capabilities
- Chest Pain Center with 24/7 interventional cath lab capabilities
Patient volume and Statistics
- More than 60,000 combined emergency and urgent care visits
- 29 percent emergency admission rate
- 11 percent of patients are pediatric (<16-years-old)
- 21 percent of emergency patients arrive by EMS
- 357 trauma activations in 2018
- 40 patient exam rooms
- 5 resuscitation / trauma rooms
- 8 urgent care rooms
- 3 behavioral health rooms
- ENT & Eye rooms
- Pharmacist available daily in the department
- 24/7 social worker coverage in the department
- Psychiatrist in the department daily
- Child Life Specialists available in the department