Help for seniors dealing with depression
For most people, the "golden years"—age 65 and over—are a time for traveling, new hobbies, spoiling grandchildren, volunteering, socializing, enjoying more leisure time and endless possibilities.
But for some, they are tarnished by depression or anxiety, often after the death of a loved one or due to chronic illness.
The Senior Life Solutions program offered by Gundersen Palmer Lutheran Hospital and Clinics is an engaging program for seniors who struggle with depression or anxiety.
Is Senior Life Solutions right for you?
You can benefit from the program if you have recently experienced:
- Loss of interest or energy for things you previously enjoyed
- Changes in appetite
- Difficulty sleeping or changes in sleep patterns
- Feelings of sadness or grief lasting more than two weeks
- Feelings of worthlessness or hopelessness
These signs of depression and anxiety can go unnoticed or overlooked. You need to know you don't have to feel this way, and Senior Life Solutions is a great place to start.
How does Senior Life Solutions help?
Following an assessment, you'll meet three times a week in a small group led by a licensed therapist. The program is a great opportunity to:
- Meet and interact with other seniors
- Create relationships with other people who may be facing similar challenges
- Help each other by sharing personal experiences and solutions
- Gain a greater understanding of yourself
- Learn new coping skills to improve depression and anxiety symptoms
- Work together toward a better quality of life and overall well-being
Senior Life Solutions also provides individual and family sessions to explore issues or concerns with a therapist that may be too sensitive or difficult in a group setting.
If you feel you could benefit from Senior Life Solutions, or you know someone who can, call (563) 422-9722 to learn more. And put the shine back in your golden years.