Seven easy ways to be more active
Many people desire to be active but don't know where to start. They know exercise is important for their health, but joining a gym or finding exercise they enjoy can seem daunting. No matter your current workout routine, it is important to find ways to continue moving throughout your day.
7 steps for incorporating more movement in your life.
- Make time for frequent standing and walking breaks throughout your day. If it helps, set a timer on your watch or phone to remind you to get up and move.
- Take the stairs as frequently as possible.
- When walking, increase your pace to get your heartrate up and promote heart health.
- When you are at home and have the time, cleaning is a great way to stay active. A clean, clutter-free home also can relieve stress.
- Incorporate exercise into commercial breaks when you're watching TV. Try planks, squats and triceps dips.
- Plan active date nights with your significant other. Walk around the park, go on a hike, play tennis or find some other active activity that you both enjoy.
- Do simple exercises while you're waiting. For example, if you're boiling water at home, do bodyweight squats instead of sitting down until the water is ready.