Advice to keep your skin looking ageless
Gundersen plastic surgeon Allison Derrick, MD, tells her patients, "I have many ways to address signs of aging, but the best thing you can do, particularly when you are young, is to take great care of your skin. Start early with a consistent regimen and the effort will pay off in the long run. It's true that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"
Follow her advice, no matter your age, to help keep your skin looking ageless:
- Avoid too much sun. With unprotected exposure to the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays (or the equivalent from tanning beds), the damage to your skin has long-term consequences. This can range from premature aging (including dark spots, uneven skin tone and wrinkles), to an increased risk for skin cancer. So always apply SPF 30 sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside.
- Exfoliate. When you exfoliate, you slough off dead skin cells and reveal new smoother skin. Exfoliate two to three times a week to remove not only dead skin but any buildup of pore-clogging oil, dirt and makeup.
- Clean out. Get rid of outdated or ineffective makeup and skincare products, and toss well-worn makeup brushes, eyelash curlers and puffs which can harbor harmful bacteria. A good rule of thumb: Toss unused product that is more than a year old; three months for mascara.
- Get your beauty sleep. Sleep allows the skin to restore its natural balance. During sleep your body produces more proteins, like collagen and elastin, which are needed to repair and revitalize skin.
- Nourish your skin from the inside out. Good nutrition is fundamental for healthy skin. "Power foods" like avocados, oatmeal and even dark chocolate, are known to promote a healthier, more youthful complexion. Here are other power foods that can make your skin glow.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle. Like your body, your skin benefits from exercise, good diet, proper hydration, a good night's sleep and above all else, no smoking. A healthy lifestyle, especially when you're young, provides a good foundation for a lifetime of healthier skin.
"Whether you have a youthful complexion or your skin is already showing signs of aging, Gundersen has you covered," says Dr. Derrick. "An individualized skin care assessment helps you get the most from your daily skincare routine."
For an appointment with a skincare experts, contact Cosmetic Services.