Published on August 24, 2016
We're so "over" kale!
Kale is all the rage right now, but there are plenty of cheaper, healthier options.
- Romaine lettuce: That's right, trusty ole romaine is healthier than kale. Romaine lettuce is packed with folic acid, a B vitamin that is essential for pregnant women and male fertility. Folic acid (or folate) has also been shown to help prevent depression!
- Parsley: You know that sprig of green used as a garnish on restaurant plates? Yep, that's parsley and it's a vitamin/mineral powerhouse. It is packed with vitamin K, which is essential for healthy blood. It's also been show to help control appetite and adds flavor to food without adding salt.
- Leaf lettuce: It's easy to walk right past the leaf lettuce when searching for a superfood, but it's been right under your nose the whole time! Just two cups of lettuce provides all of the vitamin K your body needs. In addition to being necessary for healthy blood it is also important for strong bones. Ladies! Eat up and prevent bone fractures by 30%!
- Chinese Cabbage: A staple of most CSA (community supported agriculture) boxes, Chinese cabbage is rich in calcium and iron. Both are minerals most Americans are deficient in. Cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli and cabbage, help reduce inflammation which is important for those with diabetes and heart disease.
- Watercress. If you are asking, "what the heck is watercress?" you are not alone. Often overlooked, watercress is one green that truly is a super food. Packed with a mega dose of beta carotene (for healthy eyes) and 2.5 times your daily need for vitamin K, it also has a plethora of powerful antioxidants (cancer fighters). In just two cups, research suggests that watercress could potentially reduce pre-cancerous damage by 17%! Eat up!