Tofu chili recipe
Makes 6 servings
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
Drain tofu and press liquid out by placing tofu between layers of paper towels with a heavy object on top—stacked dishes, heavy books, heavy cutting board, etc.
Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and peppers and saute for another 5 minutes.
Crumble tofu and add to pot. Add all the spices to the pot. Saute tofu in spices for another 5 minutes. Add beans and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about an hour, allowing flavors to meld together.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 305 calories, 8 g fat, 19 g protein, 41 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 859 mg sodium