Makes 5 servings
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ c. diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 20 ounce package cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 c. red lentils
- 1 c. chopped fresh tomato, or one 15-ounce can of unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 c. water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Optional garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro, lime wedges
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook until onion is starting to soften, about 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
Add squash, lentils, tomato, and salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer; cook, covered, stirring occasionally until the squash is tender and the lentils are mostly broken down, about 20 minutes.
Stir in coconut milk and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. If desired, garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition analysis: 353 calories, 12 grams fat, 8 grams fiber, 14 grams protein, 43 grams carbohydrate, 504 mg sodium
Do juice cleanses really work?
How to get more vitamin C
Fresh ideas for fruit
Fruit and yogurt parfaits