Makes 8 servings
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock (reduced sodium if able)
- 1 cup rinsed, uncooked wild rice blend (mix of brown rice and wild rice)
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or 2 tsp pre-minced jar garlic
- 1 bag matchstick carrots
- 2 ribs celery (optional)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced or 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 large handfuls raw or frozen kale
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Brown ground pork in a pan. Drain excess fat and add to slow cooker pot.
- Add in chicken or vegetable stock, rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, diced sweet potato, onion, bay leaf, kale, and Old Bay seasoning to the pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Soup is cooked when sweet potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork and rice is fully cooked.
- Turn Crock Pot off. In a saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter over low heat. Whisk in ¼ cup flour and slowly add 1 ½ cups milk. Stir constantly over medium heat to prevent burning. Stir until sauce begins to gently boil and thicken.
- When thickened, transfer to slow cooker pot and mix in.
- Remove bay leaf and enjoy!
Nutrition analysis per serving: 329 calories, 10 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 683 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein
How to get more vitamin C
Do juice cleanses really work?
Fresh ideas for fruit
Fruit and yogurt parfaits